WASHINGTON, D.C. – Members of Alabama’s Congressional delegation applauded the House’s passage of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2018 on July 14. This legislation authorizes funding and sets policy for the entire United States military. The bill passed 344 to 81 and now goes to the Senate.
“The House overwhelmingly passed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY 2018 which sets funding policy for America’s national security and provides our men and women in uniform with the resources needed to protect America,” said Congressman Mo Brooks (AL-05). “The FY18 NDAA authorizes a very substantial $62 billion increase over FY 2017 funding, thereby taking significant steps to reverse military declines and address America’s military readiness crisis. The legislation increases the size and funding for maintenance for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Army Guard and Reserve, Naval and Air Reserve, and Air Guard.”
Here are some of the highlights of this year’s NDAA:
• Increases total military spending by 10% to rebuild from our current readiness crisis
• Funds a 2.4% pay raise for our troops
• Includes an amendment to modernize UH-60A/L aircraft bound for Afghanistan aviation forces, and improve their technological capabilities
• Invests in missile defense programs in response to threats posed by countries like North Korea
• Reforms the military’s acquisition process to make it more efficient
• Improves oversight of cyber operations
• Creates a new U.S. Space Corps to oversee the evolving space domain
• Increases the size of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Army Guard and Reserve, Naval and Air Reserve, and Air Guard
• Supports improvements to military facilities with a focus on restoration and modernization
• Authorizes construction of 13 new Navy ships to grow toward a 355 ship fleet.
Rep. Mike Rogers (AL-03) offered an amendment that would allow the Army to release excess 1911 pistols from storage and transfer them to the Civilian Marksmanship Program to be inspected, graded, and prepared for sale to the public.